FAQ Friday: What size self-storage unit do I need?
There are lots of questions surrounding self-storage. On Fridays we break down one frequently asked question to help make navigating the self-storage process a bit easier for you.
As you’ve likely figured out, self-storage units come in a wide variety of sizes. On the bright side, this means there is something for everyone. The down side, of course, is that trying to figure out which unit size is right for you can be a daunting task.
An online storage calculator can be your best friend when it comes to organizing your items in the self-storage unit. Here are some general guidelines to help you get started.
- 5×5: Similar to a standard closet, 25 square feet can fit about a dozen boxes, a desk and chair, and a bicycle.
- 5×10: This storage unit is about the size of a standard walk-in closet. In approximately 50 square feet you can store a dozen boxes, a desk and chair, a mattress, and a box spring.
- 5×15: Like a large walk-in closet, this unit size will fit the contents of a studio apartment including small pieces of furniture, boxes, and bookcases.
- 10×10: A storage unit of 100 square feet will house the contents of several rooms. In this unit you could fit an entire bedroom set, a couch, and a kitchen table.
- 10×15: If you’re storing the contents of a small house or a two-bedroom apartment, a self-storage unit this size may work. It can fit two couches, two mattress sets, a coffee table, fridge, and a television.
- 10×20: This storage unit is about the size of a one-car garage. The space can comfortably hold a fridge, washer and dryer, three mattress sets, a dining room set, bookcases, couches, and boxes. It’s ideal for a three-bedroom apartment or mid-size home.
- 10×25: In this unit you will fit a couple of couches, an oversized armchair, a dining room set, fridge, washer and dryer, entertainment nook, bookcases, and more.
- 10×30: The largest storage unit, this space will fit the contents of a three or four-bedroom house. In approximately 300 square feet you can fit a number of mattress sets, dining room sets, couches, and boxes.
Need more guidance?
These guidelines are just that—a guide. If you have questions or still aren’t sure which unit size is right for you, your local self-storage specialists will be happy to help you find a self-storage unit that meets your needs.